How Can I Enforce My Child Support Order?

Family courts do not make it easy for parents to skimp on supporting their children, so if your former spouse is refusing to pay child support, rest assured there are ways to enforce it if you take legal action. Strict laws are in place that allow state, federal, and local agencies to help ensure you collect the child support payments you are owed, so continue reading to learn more.

Enforcing Your Child Support Order

If your former spouse stops paying child support, you should not hesitate to consult with an attorney as soon as possible. Once you take this matter to court, there are numerous ways in which the order may be enforced.

Below are some of the enforcement tools a delinquent parent may be subjected to:

  • Your ex’s wages may be deducted and given directly to you.
  • Your ex’s tax refund may be intercepted to cover the missing payments.
  • Your ex’s license may be revoked or suspended.
  • Your ex’s passport may not be renewed.
  • In some circumstances, you may go to court to obtain a contempt of court order, which may result in a fine or jail time for your delinquent co-parent.

Additionally, the U.S. Office of the Inspector General may also get involved in your case if your co-parent lives in another state and if one of the following applies:

  • Your ex refused to pay child support for more than 12 months.
  • Your ex owes more than $5,000.
  • Your ex traveled to another country or state to avoid making child support payments.

Punishment for a first offense is up to 6 months in prison. For a second offense or if your ex owes more than $10,000, the punishment is up to 2 years in prison, $250,000, or both.

Reach Out to an Experienced Member of Our Legal Team for a Case Review Today!

If your co-parent refuses to comply with the child support order, you need to hire an experienced attorney to handle your case. At Garza Law Firm, LLLP, our family law team has the knowledge and skill necessary to assist you, so you can achieve a favorable resolution and recover the payments you are owed.

Call our law office today at (214) 225-4344 to set up an initial case review with a member of our team to learn more about what we can do for you!