You already have enough on your mind. You need an experienced divorce lawyer to help guide you through the legal process and ensure your rights are protected. At Garza Law Firm, we take care of the legal matters and help make sure you get everything you are entitled to from the marital estate. We have years of experience handling both simple and complicated divorce cases.
How to File for Divorce in Texas
Filing for divorce in Texas can be a complex and emotionally draining experience for many people. Fortunately, the Dallas divorce attorneys at Garza Law Firm can help alleviate the process. Our knowledgeable team of divorce lawyers will guide you through the entire process to ensure a successful resolution of your case.
Generally, the steps to file for divorce in Texas include:
- Meet the residency requirement of six months.
- You or your spouse must have been living in the state of Texas for at least six months before filing for divorce.
- File a petition for divorce.
- You or your spouse must file a petition for divorce with the district clerk in the county where either of you lives.
- Serve your spouse with the petition.
- After filing the petition, you must formally notify your spouse by serving the petition through a legal process server or a constable. Your attorneys can help you determine the best way of completing this task.
- Wait up to 20 days for response.
- Your spouse will have 20 days to respond to the petition. If they fail to respond, the court may proceed with a default judgment.
- Negotiate a divorce settlement.
- Attend your court hearings with your attorney.
- If you and your spouse cannot come to an agreement on the above issues, a court hearing will be scheduled. It is very important to attend all hearings and be represented by an experienced Dallas divorce lawyer.
- Receive a Final Decree of Divorce.
- Once a settlement agreement is reached between the parties or the judge makes a decision after a hearing, a final decree of divorce will be issued. This will complete the divorce process
Our attorneys have a thorough understanding of how local courts operate, which helps to best protect your rights as well as those of any children that may be involved in your divorce. If you have more questions about filing for divorce in Texas, contact our Dallas divorce attorneys today.
Where Should I Be Filing Divorce?
When you are going through a divorce, there are two things you need from your attorney: firm, effective negotiation skills and a measure of compassion and care. With Garza Law Firm, you can rest assured that we have both.
Michele and Marc Garza are trusted by their family law clients for the following reasons:
- Nearly 40 years of combined legal experience, focusing on family law
- Known for an emphasis on efficiency, hard work, and strong communication with our clients
- Passionate about helping people in difficult circumstances
- A brother-sister team with personal experience with divorce
We have negotiated complex divorce cases with hundreds of thousands of dollars in property to consider, and we have helped individuals protect their families and their legacies. At the same time, we understand how difficult the process can be emotionally, and we make sure each client receives the time and attention they need. We pride ourselves on how we work with our clients, keeping them informed every step of the way.
Advocating for Your Best Interests
- Versatile Legal Style We adapt to the specific needs of you and your family. We provide compassionate attention while fighting to protect your best interests.
- Caring, Personalized Attention Every family has a unique circumstances that requires a personalized approach. We will work with you and your loved ones to create positive outcomes.
- Family Helping Family We understand the meaning and importance of family. As children, we experienced divorce and its effects. Our goal is to make the legal process as smooth as possible for you and your family.